Umathings

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:59:54 +1200

At 06:38 PM 7/11/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>The Umathings [the "Orlanthi" of the southern continent] weren't
>(re)introduced to storm worship by Heortlings.

That the Umathings are Orlanthi is a matter of canon and I doubt that they had ever lost it considering that Worlath was a god specifically stated to have been worshipped in Umathela. When the Protestants junked the Pope, they didn't throw out the Bible.

>If the
>gods did care, then misapplied worship would correct itself.

I'm uncertain of the point of this digression about theistic worship, but if this is an argument that the God Learners forced the all the Umathings to worship Orlanth in the sorcerous manner, then I don't think that is what they did. The God Learners weren't just interested in trying to unite all mythologies, they were also trying to unite all magics into one system, especially in the waning years of their empire.

Hence in my opinion, the God Learners would have encouraged the Orlanthi to worship Orlanth animistically and sorcerously in addition to theistic worship.

>So after various God Learner outrages (such as perhaps
>suppressing Orlanth worship entirely),

I don't see the suppression outrage myself. The God Learners had no trouble with Orlanth but they did want him worshipped within the Monomyth. The presence of the place names of Kolatsfange and Umathela indicates they had no problem with Orlanthi mythology.

>the Umathing people came up with their own
>ways (perhaps partly remembered from way back, perhaps
>partly new) to contact the Other Side.

I don't see this myself. The chief catastrophe of Umathela before the Closing and the destruction of the God Learners is the False Gods Revolt. The protagonists there aren't coming up with new ways to contact the Other Side but to demonstrate their liberation of their ways from the God Learner shackles.

The chief effect of this revolt would be the adaption and introduction of strange new ways that were previously prohibited by the God Learners. Among them would be Baraku, the destroyer of the Artmali and whatever air god the elves might have.

--Peter Metcalfe