RE: Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:28:41 -0000

> I'm not sure how you'd get away with performing such a
> heinous sin on a
> regular basis in a small rural community, though. By abusing
> a bond which has
> been divinely instituted by the gods, I think you'd be
> letting yourself in
> for a lot of trouble - especially if you follow an aspect of
> one of those
> gods, as female entertainers apparently do...

Indeed. Nonetheless, its quite common even in rural communitities, although of course more opportunities arise in the cities. Most cultures have a split personality about this - although marriage is supposedly divine, male infidelity is generally approved (actively or tacitly) while female infidelity is persecuted with the full might of the state - punishments assigned for infidelity are almost universally more sever for women than men. It is true that prostitutes risk trouble - they have always been attributed with "inflaming the lusts" of otherwise decent and upstanding men.

Hell, some of this is still going on today. Some American fruitcake has been over here talking to the Chancellor about morality in the modern day, and has been advocating imprisoning single mothers in order to encourage "moral responsibility". Apparently he's a Libertarian.