Re: New Law War?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:47:59 -0700

YGWV Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>: asks about beautiful Teshnos.

> On page 14 of HeroQuest, there's a map with little "teasers" for the
> events of the Hero Wars. For Teshnos, it displays the rune for
> Teshnos and Kralorela, and states: "The New Law War: Ancient deities
> transform themselves to overcome grim foes that rise from the Deep
> Mysteries."

My thoughts in this start with that ancient rivalry between Kralorela and Teshnos that is still manifest as the serpent/elephant battle fought every year in the icy pass in the Shanshan Mountains. [And that illo on 202 of Glorantha is a bit embarrassing--it ought to be an Indian elephant of course, although possibly with long fur...]

> Some of my thought and questions on this:
> * I presume the "Old Laws" are the Laws of Chal, and represent the
> current dominant orthodoxy that prevails in Teshnos.

Yes. But this can also be expanded to be "the old laws of the universe." That is, the rules under which reality exists in the Hero Wars period.

> * I'm not sure where these New Laws are coming from. Perhaps they are
> ways of foreigners, who have brought so much trouble to Teshnos
> before.

I was thinking that they would be new for that time and place, but actually are the oldest laws of the world which worshippers hope to reinstate to bring back the prehistoric bliss of their ancestors.

Although yes, of course, foreigners take the opportunity to meddle.

> * What ancient deities? Are they the Five Fiery Forms, are perhaps
> even more ancient ones? This region was reigned over at some point
> by Osdero/Metsyla, the Eagle Phoenix Emperor, before he met his end at
> the hands of watery Antigods.

The Parloth.

> * Transformation into what? Will a new Fiery Form be revealed?

They transform themselves into avatars.
Since the Chal entities will defend themselves as well as possible, a new fiery form may be revealed. Perhaps a form that (claims to) manifest the primeval consciousness that the Parloth avatars are trying to reinstate.

> * What are the nature of these Grim Foes? Are they the Ashurtans, the
> Gachi, or other Antigod Races? Deep Mysteries suggests to me the
> myths of Osdero and the sunken lands of Aberzed.

The precise form of these Parloth avatars is up to the Narrator and his players. Or maybe for whomever writes the scenarios to be published by Moon Design.

Note that the weakening fabric of everyday reality also allows other entities to manifest, and these include a variety of the antigods as well, often masquerading as Parloth. It is a time of great deception and danger, and a testing of true sight, power and consciousness.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford