Re: New Law War?

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:30:08 -0400

Namaste Peter:

On 7/25/06, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> >For Teshnos, it displays the rune for
> >Teshnos and Kralorela, and states: "The New Law War: Ancient deities
> >transform themselves to overcome grim foes that rise from the Deep
> >Mysteries."

> I didn't think Law was a meaningfully evocative expression to use
> about Teshnos. It's like positing a "New Freedoms War" for Dara
> Happa. Something like Dharma would be far more meaningful to
> the Teshnans.

Certainly, though the War could between the Old Laws - the scriptural rites and codifications of the Chalite Teachings, and the New Laws - Dharma, or following cosmic justice.

> >* I'm not sure where these New Laws are coming from. Perhaps they are
> >ways of foreigners, who have brought so much trouble to Teshnos
> >before.
> Since the other rune is the Kralori rune, one could surmise that
> Dragons are responsible.

In my campaign, I have been using the Gang of Four as the big "Kralori" bad guys. The Kingdom of Ignorance isn't quite the same as Kralorela, but the "Suspicious of Kralori" Teshnans don't see that much of a difference.

> >* What ancient deties? Are they the Five Fiery Forms, are perhaps
> >even more ancient ones? This region was reigned over at some point
> >by Osdero/Metsyla, the Eagle Phoenix Emperor, before he met his end at
> >the hands of watery Antigods.

> Osdero took over from Govmeranen who succeeded Dogsalu the
> first dragon. Thus Teshnos has a history of being ruled by Dragons
> although they may consider it a debased and barbarous time.

It seems to me that the Teshnans consider Osdero as the Phoenix Emperor of the God Time, who left behind the 17 Lessons to Enlightenment. They don't like to acknowledge his draconic nature, so will ignore it as much as they can.

> >* Transformation into what? Will a new Fiery Form be revealed?
> >* What are the nature of these Grim Foes? Are they the Ashurtans, the
> >Gachi, or other Antigod Races? Deep Mysteries suggests to me the
> >myths of Osdero and the sunken lands of Aberzed.

> Given that the Wolf Pirates are in the vicinity, a suggestion could be
> one of them attempts to do the Orlanth and Aroka quest to find a magic
> against the Teshnans. Unfortunately he summons the Blue Dragon and
> fails to kill it.

Good idea, except Orlanth is Dead, and not likely to return in my campaign. I do have the Wolf Pirates cooperating with some local Pirates who are more actively affiliated with Antigods and are willing to do more daring and dangerous HeroQuests.

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."