RE: Re: Sex and RPG

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:45:22 -0000

> You may be right but it would be a pity if that happened. Still the
> box on p.181 is quite explicit in stating that warrior roles such as
> Vinga exist, but will be covered in Storm Tribe.

Yes, but there are lots of stereotypes in Vinga that certainly alienated me quite quickly.

Why do Vinga worshippers wear a skirt over their trousers? Whats with the hair dying? Don't seem to be other gods with this level of appearance concern. Isn't it funny that such sterotypical concern with dress is associated with a female deity?

"Vinga is the warrior goddess for women who take upon themselves the violent and deadly tasks normally taken by men. She protects the helpless--the lost child or raped woman, the defenseless village attacked by Uz (trolls), or a battle comrade knocked unconscious"

So what we are saying here is that Vinga-worshippers are clearly of secondary stature to male combatants, perform auxiliary and defensive rather than aggressive functions. While men battle horrible foes for "the tribe", Vingans specifically protect the weak and helpless - presumably men are too rough and tough to need the protection of ladies.

Frankly I'm surprised the disadvantages did not include mandatory celibacy; the usual response to women taking such a proactive role is to make sure they cannot also be reproductive.