Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:59:15 -0700

> >The White Bear was a Great Spirit, not a God (MoLad 51)
>
> Whoops, my bad. But that makes it even more impressive, I think. Can't
> imagine a Great Spirit being less than, say 9 Masteries. No?

> But suppose somebody found some stones with a description on how to
worship
> it...could they resuscitate it? I suppose they'd have to get it's skin
back
> first.

I would say they would. At the moment, it's power is bound up in its skin, and that is on Harrek's back. You'd have to take it away from Harrek, and "heal" the Spirit before it was "whole" again. I doubt that giving it worship until it was healed would give it any benefit at all. But that's sooo far outside the normal rules that you can certainly do what yopu want...

> I know this is going to sound Powergamey, but I have this urge all the
time
> to rate gods and such. From the HQ MRB, we have "Sample Resistances" for
> beings. If we use this as a scale, where would you put the various known
> entities of Glorantha in terms of gross masteries?

Where you want...

> We get little clues in the form of things like ratings for the guardians
for
> potent Hero Bands, and this sort of thing. But it seems like we must be
> asking for trouble if we rate the gods. Are we afraid that the players
might
> go a god slaying (and so what if they do)?

Depends on where your campaign is, and where you want it to go (and don't forget that mortals lose a mastery when in the God/Spirit/Essence planes). If you are playing with w6+ base ratings, then your characters are so far above "mere" mortals like Harrek that the only real resistance would be from "god" level beings.

> Or is this line of questioning somehow a bad idea? See, if we could
> determine how potent the bear is, then we might have some idea of what
other
> dieties Harrek could threaten. Was the bear on it's last legs already?
> Harrek is listed as 4+ masteries on the example list...perhaps we can
cobble
> together the advantages he had in the course of getting up to a TN to kill
> the bear. Or was he just lucky and chock full of HP at the time? If you
> catch my drift?

He was a Narrator character in a story. He can/could do whatever was needed to get him where Greg wanted him to be. That is why you can't use Harrek as a benchmark of what a HQ (or RQ) character can do. He had Scriptal immunity and didn't have to play by the rules.

RR
- Richelieu