Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:12:07 +0100 (BST)

> > I hate to say it, but that's drivel. It happened,
> in

> Somehow I knew you'd bring this up :-). Sorry, jane,
> but some individuals in
> Glorantha break even the lax rules of HQ (don't even
> *try* it in RQ!)

Well I was hoping you'd explain how HQ can do it, but if they can't - they're broken. And need fixing.

>>If Harrek could do it, then so, under

> > similar circumstances, could a PC, and no doubt
> they
> > will. "Scriptural immunity" means "spent a HP" -
>
> No, it means "spent enough HPs to become a OiD
> Centerfold in one fell swoop
> including multiple ability spending penalties" (and
> ignore the rule about
> only spending one HP at a time to bump).

Then possibly the rule about only spending one HP at a time is what's broken.

> Yes, it *can* be done, but it would take:
>
> A narrator that starts the game in the
> multiple-mastery range

Or a long game. Either are possible.

> and lets you have a ton of HP and
> lets you spend them in multiples for bumps

All seems possible.

> and says "The White Bear is having a bad day"

He rolled 20s, Harrek rolled 1s

> Not a Rules thing, but a Narrator thing. Maybe Greg
> was a Monty-Haul GM in the past?

Maybe.

> > Let's assume for now that Harrek rolled only 1s
> and
> > the Bear God and the Universe rolled only 20s.
> What numbers do we need?
>
> The difference in mastery levels. Just how did
> Harrek get 6+ masteries
> through rituals/circumstances/backup?

Well, using spirit magic not any other sort makes it easier. Release a lot of fetishes all at once, and stack them. Ask those present at Neil's CharUn game at Continuum what that can be like - ISTR stacking up about four masteries without too much of a problem (and saying afterward "oh drat, overlooked that +17 - ah well, hardly metters"). Very much a one-shot, but it worked.

The other bit of rules cheese is to go for a rolled augment, a very high one, and spend a HP to be sure you get it. If Harrek had any friends as well, you play SWAT team, and there you go.

>(Assuming a 16-year old kid isn't

> going to be more than 10w2, or a 30 year old
> not-yet-a-superhero doesn't have more than 10w3,

I gather he has W4 now, and that was in the past. Let's take W4 as our upper limit, he hasn't exactly been doing self-improvement exercises since, just killing things. 10W3 seems more reasonable. And since I believe he spent some time as a hired fighter in the Dart Wars, the age-30 story seems more likely to me than the age-16 one (clashes can be explained by the usual of Issaries editors not bothering to read and check the basic background, just like the Bat dates).

> and assuming that the Bear is a
> "low-end" Great Spirit
> with 10w8 and a -20 Alien World penalty to Harrek
> for being in the Spirit
> World and facing the Bear on its home ground.

Yep - unless he somehow suckered it into meeting him somewhere else?

> Assuming Harrek is smart,
> he'll have gone in with a 19 or 20 Target number,
> whatever his masteries might be.

Yes - though we're assuming here that he got to roll 1s throughout the contest. That's the real "narrative immunity" - the author controls the dice to make for more interesting plot.