Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:16:01 -0000

Jeff Richard

> I agree with Rob. HQ models what I need it to model. However, I
> never structure the story around the rules mechanics (which is
what
> some folk seem to be trying to do on this list). IMO, a narrator
> should always fit the rules mechanics around the needs of the
>story.

True. Somewhere, and I couldn't find it searching my PDF, HeroQuest advises to describe the effect and not worry about the details unless the players choose to invstigate. So when you need a narrator character to perform some magic, worry less about what the rules say, but describe what happens. Then if the players are intrigued and say 'I want powers like that guy' you have new avenues to explore.

And the conflict resolution system in HeroQuest makes this very viable.

However if someone says 'I want to skin and bind a white bear spirit, just like Harrek' it is useful to know if the existing mechanics model this or you have to make it something new. After all HeroQuest also points out that it is useful for folks to understand the rules of what is 'normal' so that when someone does something abnormal, outside the 'rules' the shock and awe of 'how did he do that, he shouldn't be able to do that' work better.

I'm just trying to point out that the existing mechanics do set this one up.