RE: Re: Dissappointed

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:26:52 -0500

>From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
>
>Although there is a quite an indie community who do try to combine
>resources to market, and our well disposed toward HeroQuest including
>around sites like Iindie Press Revolution, so Moon Designs mihgt be able to
>leverage a lot of the combined marketing efforts that go on in this space.
>The difficulty for Moon Designs might be the 'creator owned' tag.

The "Creator Owned" tag meaning that the sole owner is the creator is really more of a Forge thing. That is, I think that Brennan Taylor who runs IPR is pretty liberal in what he counts as "Indie." Put another way, I think he probably would have carried the Issiaries stuff at GenCon if he'd been asked. I could be wrong about that. But I think it's worth investigating for the future if it hasn't been already. In fact, I think I've already mentioned it to Rick.

I'll lean on Brennan if neccessary, telling him that his character in my game will suffer if he doesn't comply! Yes, Brennan loves HQ.

Anyhow, I have to apologize to anyone who didn't find much support at GenCon for HQ - I was there running demos like a madman. I just didn't advertise the fact. I didn't feel that I had to advertise, because I knew that I'd have more games to run than I (and Thomas Robertson, my Aide De Camp) could handle. And I was right. As it was, a couple of the games I ran got massive with 8 or 9 players playing at once. The smallest demo I ran was 4 players. This is over the course of 6 demos we did at the Indie Gaming Explosion's new event "Gaming On Demand." I pretty much had as many players as I wanted whenever I wanted to run. If I'd run any more sessions of HQ, I think that I could have reasonably have been accused of having hogged the limited resources of this event, which was supposed to be there for anyone to play any "indie" game they wanted.

Again, the support that I got, being able to run as many games as I did horning in last minute on their tables, shows how much support the "indie" community has for Hero Quest.

So, anyhow, while there wasn't much commercial support for HQ, it can't be said that there was no HQ being played! We has some really startlingly good play with players who ranged from experienced to some who'd never seen the system before. Sorry I couldn't accomodate more players, but there's only so much a couple of guys can do last minute. :-)

Mike