RE: Re: Really boring RQ2/HQ question

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:44:38 +0100 (BST)

> >Also minor characters suddenly became much more
> >fuller, more interesting and subsquently i was less
> inclined to use
> >them for walk on roles or even cannon fodder.
>
> Maybe this is a reason I avoid statting out NPCs
> (other than sheer
> laziness). Sure I like to see such characters
> develop. But I also like
> killing them off. Don't want to get too attached to
> a character that turns out to wear a red shirt. :-)

I tend to give NPCs a keyword, for starters. If they get any lines, then I make a quick note of their speech mannerisms (I prefer to know who's talking by what they say, rather than by having to write "then NPC5 says..."). If they survive Encounter 1 then I make a note of what they did and saw - how impressed are they with the PCs? But so far we still only have one number, and probably no name.

and I'll happily kill off NPCs with full character sheets, as long as they go out in style!