Re: When Was Orlanth Illuminated?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:59:21 -0700

YGWV First of all, despite what Roderick stated, I would say that the paragraphs that I quoted in my letter ae a good example of what ALL enlightened beings are like.

Quoting Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>:

Jane:
>> I'm just not convinced it describes non-Lunar
>> illumination as well as the Lunar variety, since we
>> know Lunars do everything differently.
>
> It's always a risk interpreting mysticism from
> prior publications that have since been repudiated
> or put aside but here's my guess:
>
> * The Nysaloran Illuminate (as per the RQ rules) is
> in a state of occlusion. People can become
> occluded by thinking about a Riddle. Nysalorans
> do not struggle with the All but rather the absence
> of certainty.

Agreed.
Thus the old RQ definition of "illuminated" is incorrect as far as the new understanding is concerned.

> * The Vithelan sages are not illuminated but
> enlightened. They however have to raise their
> enlightenment to wibble-15 through patient
> meditation.

And overcoming tests of temptation.

> * Sacrifices to the High Gods (ie initiate of
> or devotee of [High God]) have a similar
> effect but they are suspectible to temptation
> by the antigods.

One does not become Illuminated or Enlightened through sacrifice of any sort. That kind of woship maintains the status quo of a non-enlightened being by participating in the world.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford