Re: Heortlings: Sexist/Egalitarian?

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:17:39 -0500

Ian Cooper wrote:

>It is important to understand that Ernaldan mythology
>is positive about women's non-martial role.

It is also positive about women's *marital* role and in a way that is not subservient, but rather complementary, to her husband. I did not post a link and a recommendation to peruse Mary Wollstonecraft's "A Vindication of the Rights of Woman" for no purpose. Wollstonecraft manages to reconcile egalitarian feminist ideals with the more traditional societal role of women. While some detract from Wollstonecraft's ideas as antiquated, they go a lot farther toward establishing harmonious partnerships between the genders and affirming the choices of women to assume *whatever* role they desire in life than some modern thought on the subject.

Even with the advent of so-called "modern" feminism (which is not by any means a singular, unified movement... made worse by the fact that few people of either gender have actually studied feminist thought), the majority of women still consider marriage, child-rearing and the establishment of a home to be important parts of their lives. Certainly some feminists perceive this as unsuitable, but they are in the overwhelming minority.

My wife is not a roleplayer; she avoids it with a passion, in fact. She is most definitely feminist in her thinking, but also enjoys her femininity. When I handed her THUNDER REBELS that I might have her opinion, upon reading it she was quite impressed, commenting that she found it interesting, well-written, and the sheer number of roles available for women quite amazing. She picked up KING OF SARTAR in lieu of her usual bed-time reading, so sparked was her curiosity about Glorantha and the Orlanthi in specific.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_... Ann Arbor, MI USA