Gachi of Melib and Sacrifice?

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:38:59 -0400

Namaste all.

My Glorantha campaign is moving from serenely beautiful mainland Teshnos to the demon-haunted Isle of Melib as the Heroes pursue the Dread Pirate Armada. Around half of my heroes are Lunar Missionaries far from home, the other half are Teshnans and Vithelans with great fiery destinies.

One of the Lunar heroes has run afoul of the local Gachi, who have taken him captive after he attempted to prosteltize to some of them. (The player managed to roll four 20's in a series of 5 simple contests.)

I've been using "Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars" as my primary source on Melib. There it seems to indicate the Gachi conduct human sacrifices to their gods every 17 days.

I understand how magically potent human sacrifices are, but do the Gachi Gods accept other sacrifices?

Most theistic pantheons rely the sacrifice of animals and precious objects. The Orlanthi tend to favor personal devotion, the sacrifice of one's limited self to the deities' larger self.

Perhaps the Gachi need to sacrifice humans in order to reach their
"dead" Blue/Artmali gods? If so, the Lunars could have an
interesting proposition for them. ("Worship our Blue Moon Goddesses! They are just like yours, but Healed from Terrible Sacrifice!")

I presume Harstar is said against such rites, and his loyalists and templars will slay those found engaging in these rites. Though this is in his official "New Laws", I doubt he cares much that foreigners keeps disappearing from the port of Dosakyao.

--
-Santo

"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."