RE: Digest Number 286

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:55:27 -0000

Hi All,

On Tuesday, February 13, 2001 11:41 AM, A. K. Berner [SMTP:open_micro_at_...] wrote:

> I consider dodging to be a combat related skill. Not something that George
> Clooney would excel at in ER.

For what it's worth the skill being used was "Nimble". Besides, George Clooney looks pretty fit, he must have a fair chance at getting out of someone's way. The doctors I know face a surprising amount of violence in their everyday work. Especially on Saturday nights when all the drunks roll in. I bet they've learned to dodge pretty well.

> >* Facing down angry warriors from the dastardly Black Oak clan who are
> intent
> >on killing one of the clan's young warriors. "If you want him, you'll have
> >go through me!"
>
> Bit of an empty threat if she cannot do anything to stop them. But it does
> show how she probably wishes she could.

But she did do something to stop them. She threw herself between the aggressor and the intended victim. If he wanted to, he could easily bash her aside and go on with the attack (and live with the social consequences afterwards). She had no such option and is, in fact, daring him to attack her. In my definition, that's just as heroic and dramatic, if not more so, than some warrior with a sword stepping in the way.

> * Shaming the fyrd into standing firm and keeping the shield wall solid
> against
> the enemy by picking up a discarded shield and joining the line herself.
>
> Yes, RP is obviously a very important part of RPGs. Using a shield well is
> also not as easy as it may seem e.g. see The Deed of Paksenarrion by Moon
> for details.

I never said she was any good at using the shield (TN 6) :). But she was using her Stop Panic feat.

> >Just because your character can't swing an axe or whatever at someone, it
> >doesn't mean they can't do the action-adventure bit if that's what you're
> >after.
>
> The point is, why not be able to do both? It is not either/or.

It's not, and I never said it was. I'm just pointing out that characters who can't fight are still useful and can be dramatic and exciting. The Chalana Arroy healers are about the only characters who are *forced* to pacifists, as someone else has pointed out, there's no reason why any follower of, say, Uralda can't take "Swings a deadly axe" or the like as part of their 100-word description and make it the ability they mark up to 5W. I wouldn't like to meet her while I was raiding her herd.

> Heroes should be extraordinary people with a
> wide range of skills.

Yes, you're right, but you can still have a wide range of skills without being a fighter. I'm no good in a fight, but I like to think I still have something to offer. Not that I'm claiming to be a hero. I am quite extraordinary, though. ;)

> I can see how excorting
> cows across the tula might be fun for low powered characters, but when the
> group gets to best ability being w2 or so let me know how much fun the
> healer is having.

By that stage I'd imagine her to be, oh, heroquesting to resurrect the slain, battling mighty manifestations of Malia ("Outbreak", anyone?), getting involved in tribal politics. Definitely something more exciting than standing at the back of the party unrolling the bandages.

Regards,

Bruce