RE: (Fwd) TR Comment from a lady [Was: Thunder Rebels]

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:36:15 -0000

On Tuesday, February 13, 2001 2:05 PM, David Boatright [SMTP:david.boatright_at_...] wrote:

> I don't think the point of Hero Wars is to play the day to day butter
> churning.

No, we're playing the times when life gets just that little bit *too* exciting. :)

> churning. This is the background of the character, which give
> him&#92;her skills (and _influence_ scenario design) which maybe used
> in interesting ways to overcome problems.

This is an important point. If the players all turn up with healers/crafters/entertainers and the Narrator's scenario plans are about fighting off a horde of chaos nasties, no one is going to have too much fun. Conversely, a bunch of players who've all created Uroxi or Humakti might well be dissatisfied with a scenario about a tricky legal case. Scenarios should be designed with the heroes in mind. They are supposed to be the stars of the show, so they should all have a chance to shine and show off their favourite tricks.

Running games with lots of combat is no better or worse than running games with almost none. As long as, in that group of players, that's what everyone wants. The narrator and players really should discuss, if possible, what they want in the game before they all sit down to play. Avoids mismatches and misconceptions. Well, sometimes. :)

Regards,

Bruce