Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:23:04 +0100

Wulf :

> I have some difficulty imagining a rural Heortling prostitute though.

Well I don't.

Of course the Heortlings have prostitutes !

> Would she be paid in cows (let's leave sheep out of this
> conversation)?

Well of course not, but she is unlikely to want them in the first place. Probably, she will be after more portable wealth and/or food items, clothing, and some form of protection from jealous wives and their agents.

Male prostitutes another kettle of fish.

> Professional prostitution relies to a degree on
> portable, concealable (to hide illegality or unacceptability) profit.

C21 urban prostitution perhaps ; but is Heortling prostitution illegal/unacceptable in the first place ? (highly unlikely IMO) In fact, most backwoods villages have at least one woman of loose morals ; that everyone knows about ...

> Of course there ARE such methods of payment, but where to spend/use
> them?

Well, given that Heortling economics are based on a system of barter, probably : in her mouth, over her skin, and above her head. Anyway, how many merchants have you ever met who'd refuse money ?

Pointer : harsh Protestant morality and Glorantha don't mix well, except in a few places of the West.

> More likely any 'women of loose morals' making a living (partly
> or wholy) from their activities would have to move on after
> collecting a profit, in order that said profit not be visible &
> obvious to the community from which it was earned.

Rubbish.

> And in that
> position, moving from place to place, and relying to a part on their
> looks and persuasive talents would be... strolling players.

Yes, 'low entertainment' and prostitution are historically linked. Think 'flute players' in Ancient Greece, frex.

> So we're
> back at the Entertainers again. I cannot imagine anyone making a
> living entirely from such activity, but it's the most relistic
> version I can think of.

Sorry, but this is rubbish. The most realistic version is : a particular kind of disenchanted/lowly moralled woman making a day-to-day living from unhappy/weak men, with tacit understanding from the community at large (despite the attached blame), exists in most Heortling communities.

Julian Lord

PS Sorry about the harshness : no flame war please !