Re: kings & queens; Vinga

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:10:41 -0800

Gareth

> > In KoDP, we figured that collectively, all tribal rulers, male or
> > female, are called kings. A single female tribal ruler is called a
> > queen.
>
> What about the Queendom of Holay?

Not only does Holay not appear in King of Dragon Pass, but it is not a tribe.

I have no idea whether or not they're really Heortlings there.

> Why do Vinga worshippers wear a skirt over their trousers?

Well, one answer is that Stefano Gaudiano did some concept art that we all liked.

A more Heortling answer is that IMO Vingans behave more or less as women -- they can get married and have kids. Thus they wear an overdress like other women. But of course they perform the job of men, so they wear practical trousers.

This is opposed to Babeester Gor warrior women, who don't behave like normal women and thus don't wear the overdress.

> "Vinga is the warrior goddess for women who take upon themselves the violent
> and deadly tasks normally taken by men. She protects the helpless--the lost
> child or raped woman, the defenseless village attacked by Uz (trolls), or a
> battle comrade knocked unconscious"
>
> So what we are saying here is that Vinga-worshippers are clearly of
> secondary stature to male combatants, perform auxiliary and defensive rather
> than aggressive functions.

Not at all clear -- in fact, "violent and deadly tasks normally taken by men" is to me pretty clearly the opposite of your interpretation (many violent and deadly tasks have nothing to do with defense -- and at least the KoDP sense, auxiliaries are Ernalda women). Vinga herself may have mythically been a defender, but that doesn't mean her followers have to be, and her magic in Hero Wars certainly isn't defensive-only.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein