Re: Lunar Navy in Karse?

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:15:40 -0700

Quoting Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>: asks

> Are their any details on what the Lunar Navy is like in the City of
> Karse? I imagine whatever Navy the Lunars have is fairly new and
> "green", as Karse was only recently occupied by the Empire.

Their initial "navy" would be of local fishing boats hired from among the locals.
They *might* have a couple of renegade triremes, or have hired them away from the locals if the navy has already been defeated.

A bit later they can import some of their Janube sailors, who of course will be more loyal, but unfamiliar with the choralinthor boats. They could build some janube type boats here, and they'd not have too hard a time (as the Janube is a relatively calm sea).

The Lunar have no tradition of sea-going warships and so they will have a long haul getting one up to speed. (The triremes of the Empire--some of which may be around--are not the Greek triremes, and so they are a bit more seaworthy than the Greek models. Thus they can go coastal around Genertela, but dare not venture close to the real currents more distant from the coast.)

So, they will hire any of the locals that they can, and put some soldier on board to ensure that loyalty.

But again--most of them will be Choralinthor ships hired for the purpose.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford