Re: Lunar Navy in Karse?

From: LC <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:01:42 -0400

Sorry to be so late to the party.

If I recall, the Lunars brought in a navy from Corflu to blockade Karse in the seige that took it. I think the Gazetteer says something like that. I honestly don't remember and may be completely imagining this.

That being the case, they must have had access to SOME decent ships, since they couldn't effectively make a blockade against better ships with better sailors otherwise.

In my short-lived Karse game, they did have a few warships built in Corflu, and (as one might expect) better magic to even the balance. After that, they went the route that has been suggested by Greg and Raymond - hiring locals.

>The most likely arrangement, it seems to me, is for the lunar governor  to be
>bribed by some enterprising private seafaring operator, and to  grant some
>kind of official sanction to a basically local  operation.

This is exactly what was going on in my game (with one of the PCs as the person being offered the job). Of course, there was next to no use of the port through the winter, and the port was reopened next spring. (I think that comes from KoS) I had the Lunars working on getting naval training at the time, because Fazzur knew he needed a competent navy for the future of the empire.

LC