RE: Pol Joni Magic

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:43:43 -0600

>From: "miker19036" <michael.wryan_at_...>
>
>I've finally decided to come back to HQ after a while.

Welcome back!

>The Pol Joni are described as Storm-worshipping horse nomads, with a
>similar lifestyle to the Praxian nomads. I think animism would be a
>better fit for a nomadic people than theism. So, I'm thinking the
>Pol Joni would follow a spirit tradition modelled after the Orlanthi
>Pantheon (with mis-applied) worship. Does this seem in line with
>them?

Contrary to what the other poster wrote, the Praxians themselves apparently worship an entity called "Sword Man" that is missapplied worship of Humakt. That's from MOLAD, IIRC? Anyhow, that seems to imply, at least, that the animist worship of theistic Orlanthi dieties is misapplied.

Which, by the way, I'm highly ambivalent about. That is, it's locking down the natures of the beings in question in a way that only the players can know, and penalizing players who want to investigate these perspectives on certain entities. What if there are two entities that are simply very close to each other? Nope, Greg says Sword Man is Humakt.

On the other hand, I think that the idea of misapplied worship is interesting in it's own way. I'm just not sure it fits in with the idea of a Gloranatha that is somewhat redactable with heroquests and such (note "somewhat"). Just a personal aesthetic thing.

Anyhow, if you get rid of concetration, or at least don't require concentration to get the lowered costs for abilities for misapplied worship, then I personally feel much better about it. The -20 for wrong otherworld is far more of an in-game penalty than making a player pay double for playing the concept he's interested in.

>Oh, also. If I wanted to flesh out the Praxians a bit and add a
>practics for Storm Bull, would that then be a mis-applied worship of
>Urox?

Sounds right to me (again, from what little I know of the GAG, here). I liked this write up of St. Urox, as an example of monotheist worship of that entity: http://www.crashbox.com/nikk/sturox.htm

It seems to me that if any entity is universal, that it should be the one that lead the fight against Chaos, which most all peoples seem to have as part of the myth that starts time.

Mike

MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks by style, age, and price. Try it!