Re: Griffin Island/Mountain and different "technology"-levels

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:43:21 +0100 (CET)

Christian

> I hope this is the right list to post this question....
> Im currently having fun with doing a RQ to HQ conversion of the Games
> Workshop edition of Griffin Island.

You really ought to get the Griffin Mountain reprint. Lunar-occupied Elkoi is a much better read than Orc-occupied Ockles, and Halcyon Var Enkorth makes way more sense as an initiate than as an over-powerful sorcerer.

> The setting is coming so much more alive through the rules its really
> amazing !!

The old set was vibrant, too, but that's mostly the strength of the character descriptions, with all the rivalries and interactions that are basically a soap opera waiting to be brought on the TV screens.

> There is one aspect id like to hear your opinion on.
> So the (Bala)Zarings are hunter-gatherers with no access to metal, i
> guess that means flintstone-spearpoints and leather clothing
> protection, while the inhabitants of Nidik (that is Trilus in the
> Gloranthan version i guess)

Skilfil Heartpiercer's citadel is Dykene.

> benefit from a friendship with the dwarves.

Soldier Ferry is another potential route for metals coming in (Soldier Port in Griffin Island, if I remember correctly.

> The citadel guards, as the book says, are overproud, even
> arrogant about their superior metal equipment.
> Now despite giving the guards an ability �overproud of their metal
> equipment", how would you handle the superiority of the metal weapons ?
> I dont think that edges really do it justice. Maybe an
> inprovisiational bonus/malus would be better ?
> So flintstone-spear against metalarmor -10 or something like that.

The citadel guards' equipment isn't that good - the average Lunar soldier in Elkoi (orc in Ockles) has better equipment than Yalaring's guards, and probably better than most Dykeneans (excepting the Runelords and maybe some of their immediate retinue). Same goes for the Lightbringers in Trilus (despite, or maybe also because the old RQ2 "tax on plate armor" edict in Sartar).

Not that the Lunar soldiers in Elkoi are well-equipped, compared to their comrades in Pavis. No hoplites in Balazar, either hillman-recruited shield wall soldiers, or with some luck Lunar peltasts from the Provinces. I doubt that anyone but the leaders and maybe a favored bodyguard or two of the most powerful leaders in all of Balazar has much of metal armor. Helmets may be more common, and metal blades and tips would be the rule for the professionals.

The Votanki don't really need metal weapons for their hunting. Javelins do nearly as well with bone or ivory tips when hunting natural beasts (up to the sabretooth cats), and hardly affect armored beasts anyway. They stand no chance in a set battle anyway, and for the occasional arrow from ambush the difference between metal armor and shield vs leather armor and shield isn't that significant.

Overall, I'd simply apply the rules for bronze vs iron on the matter of bone/flint vs bronze, and maybe give an extra +2 when it comes to bone vs iron.