Re: Re: Puppet shows

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:16:34 +1300

At 23:05 13/02/01 +0000, you wrote:

> > If anything, Drogarsi's magics (TR p223) are much more
> > appropriate for the battlefield.

>Completely agree. But I am trying to suggest imaginative uses of
>some skills that initially look useless.

What looks "initially look useless"? They look perfectly suited to what they are meant for. I don't see a good reason for trying to make Skovara's feats with some combat utility because she isn't _the_ deity of the puppeteer troupe and her spells are useful in their own context - that of the play or entertainment.

I should point out that Hamlet managed to pull off a major upset in the court of the Danes by staging a play "to trap the conscience of the King". Far more effective than using "Make Everybody Afraid" to weaken the King for a future combat.

> > In which case, the effects of the spell would be noticed by
> > the authorities and possibly dispelled _and_ the spell
> > difficulty increases by at least 2W (HW:RiG p232).

>Not if done correctly (how is correctly? I don't know right now
>but use your imagination!).

The penalty applies for _all_ spells that has a significant time duration.

>And there is the evidence of Agrath In Pavis, KOS page 175.

He only "learned something important about the men of the Lunar Army" from it, what they were afraid of. There's no evidence that he used the spell to make the lunars afraid for some future battle, like when Jaldon Toothmaker was at the wall, that you suggest is the useful value of the spell.

--Peter Metcalfe