Re: Rules changes, etc.

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 23:49:29 -0000

Bruno Greenman:

> My copy of Runequest is Mayfair Games' version, though I used to have
> Chaosium's version.

I assume you mean the Avalon Hill version, as I don't recall Mayfair ever publishing it, but that's irrelevant to your question :)

> Anyway, were many changes to the rules made when
> Issaries got the franchise?

The two systems are totally different in every respect. HeroQuest is not an update of RuneQuest; its a completely different system that happens to use the same setting.

Having said that, it is the same setting, although since (for example) magic now works quite differently, that may not be immediately apparent to somebody familiar only with the older Gloranthan material. There's also much less focus specifically on Dragon Pass and Prax - for example, there's a lot of stuff about the Lunar Empire out now, with the West coming soon.

> I'd really like to go back to playing my
> jungle troll shaman, but am kind of nervous as to what he'd now summon
> if chonchons and nymphs are gone as non-canonical.

Chonchons and nymphs both still exist (as do jungle troll shamans - although we don't have specific rules for them yet), and are functionally much the same as they were before. The game mechanical details, though, will be different, because the rules are so radically changed. But what those game mechanics are describing is still the same thing as before.

>I know this sounds
> cheap (since it is) but I'd rather not buy another system and have it
> languish on my shelves as too radical from what my players are used
to.

It's going to depend on what you, and your players, liked about RuneQuest and about the setting. But, if the changes of system are too radical for you, there are a number of HeroQuest supplements that are very light on rules (HQ stats take up far less space anyway, which helps), which could well be useful for your RuneQuest game. Dragon Pass: Land of Thunder, for example, has almost no rules at all and should be trivial to use with RuneQuest.

Then again, you could always buy the new Mongoose Games version of RuneQuest, which really is an update of the old system, and already has some supplements published. But that would be off-topic for this list (except insofar as one was converting/adapting stuff to HeroQuest), and you'd probably get more useful advice on their own forums anyway!

I hope this is useful.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic