Re: Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:19:45 +0000 (GMT)

I'll give it a go. Ah yes, we were sneaking across the Rubble at night and got nearly-ambushed by a bunch of trolls. Bo talked us out of trouble. Yes, talked, not fought, we were outnumbered about 3:1 not counting the giant spiders.

http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/swords/chron/cradle4.cfm#message15 and scroll down a bit. I'll put the juicy bits here.

"Hoo, war leader!" The cradle rider Uz steps forward in a confident posture. He holds the enlo by one leg, dragging it behind him like a human child would a doll. "Your food" he says in an attempt at uz humour and flings the pitiful creature to its master. "I am Geran of the Zhanz clan from the Indigo Mountains. I stole Sun Shatter, wrestled the Terror Spirits and am Giant-friend. My mother Zeesha sent me, my elders stand behind me, I give them much loot. My slaves are too afraid to run."

He carefully eyes the reactions of the war leader at this boasting and is very impressed by the wonderful creatures, he's never eaten a spider and can't help wondering what it would be like. Those long hairy legs, the beady eyes all wrapped up in it's own silk. His stomach rumbles.

Several of the uz chortle at Geran's entrance and brave display of humour, and the warleader grins too. He has very large teeth, prominently displayed.

"Little Geran, you are far from home - these are not Zhanz lands for you to be stalking. These are Mazor lands! We hunt here!" Around him the Uz warriors chirp and hoot at this proclamation. "I am General Kozzag, son of Great Mother Mazor. Chaktochak guides me in war-guile, hoomans, stumpies and walking-plants flee before my mahouts. When just a yearling I caught the Third Foot Ghost and proved myself to Karrg, I have not spoken to enlo since my third year* . I have won mighty battles against all the Pavis clans, and soon will have conquered all the Rubble for my mum!

"So, little Geran - tell me why we should not munch up you and your 'ooman friends for our tea?"

"Mum sends her greetings then, great Kozzak, to the Mazor Clan and her sister Mazor." After the impressive boasting by the general, Geran is a bit more impressed and slouches in a respectful way, some habits die hard. "My hunting I do where I will," he can't help bragging just a bit more, it's all part of the fun, "and I kill where Elkozi tells me. But don't eat us, that one (he points to Hrolf) thinks he is Durulz but lacks the feathers to tickle your tummy, and my mum and aunts would be sad to see me go." He grins a bit and adds "I think." Realizing he has almost assumed a subservient position he quickly straightens again (not too much) and continues. "Besides, there's more food by the river, all those crunchy moon men in their fancy armour. I travel with the hoomans because Elkozi told me to" he grimaces. "

There's a bit more after that, but we ended up with some trolls acting as our escort for the rest of the journey just in case anyone *else* tried to jump us. Boasting is useful.