Re: Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 10:53:45 -0800

> And you know, that's the interesting thing about those
> examples. The first two are plain statements of fact -
> they're not boasts at all. Since they are facts, it
> might be possible to disprove them. But the last few,
> even that, are matters of opinion, and hence not
> possible to disprove. Point "detect lie" magic at it,
> you won't find a thing. Well, assuming the speaker
> believes it himself, that is, which probably isn't the
> case here.

The first three are simple fact (Pendragon, Runequest et al. *have* sold in the multiple thousands, so you can figure that multiple thousands have played them... and he doesn't say if "delight" or "agony" is what they exeprienced most...) Fed & clothed his children with his games? yep, he's down that.

The last two:

"I'm Greg, the best damn game designer in the world, and there has never been a game designers as good as I am." versus BS
"I'm Greg, and I invented the real art of roleplaying, back when others were just rolling dice, I invented roles and made the industry what it is today."

*Can* be disprove if someone points to other people/games that predate Greg/are "better" than his. *He* may think that he's the best, or that he invented Roleplaying, but a little research could prove or disprove his claims. Yes, they may be self-delusional so Humakt wouldn't ping on the statements, but just because you're delusional doesn't mean you're right (quite the opposite, in fact).

And as an example of a skald working to "smear" a hero...

Just how much trouble/bad press did Al Gore get for saying he "invented the internet"?

(He really didn't say that, but that's what the media (read: Skalds) reported)

RR