Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 22:35:32 -0000

 Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
> Actually, fact is everything. Presentation can add color, and
> perhaps some spin, but to alter the truth is diminishing.

The ango-saxons had an office called the thyle. We are not sure what the thyle was for exactly but the most popular theory is that his job was to question and challenge the boasts that a stranger made. A nobleman could not do this, it would be insulting, but the thyle's status seemed to make it acceptable for him. He was a trickster figure and he deflected ill-wyrd from the community.

Actually wikipedia is good on this office:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyle

There are suggestions that Tolkein had the office of thyle in mind when he wrote Grima Wormtongue, particularly in his challening of Gandalf when he comes to Theoden's Hall.

In Glorantha this would certainly be a good role for an Eurmali trickster in a clan (I've always seen tricksters as far more like Grima than a buffoon).

The key to understanding boasting is to realize that the boast and the oath are intimately connected. Many authors use the word oath instead of boast for the activity because the key is that it is about establishing reputation. First you establish your worth and then you say what you will try to do for the community. To use Greg's C.V. analogy the whole process is like a job interview, fist you list your skills then you sell your services to your employer. If you are Harmast the un-tried boy and can claim no deeds to your name then you will not be taken as seriously as someone who fought in the van at the Battle of Iceland, nor offered as much by the chieftain for your service.

Generally Germanic peoples had a boasting structure which went as follows (Beowulf uses this structure):

  1. Recite your lineage

 I am Jonrik son of Rantyr the Sword, son of Harvarnos Wind-Free...

 or from Beowulf: I am Hygelac's kinsman and warrior

2: List your heroic deeds, particularly those relevant to the task at hand. The trick is not to exaggerate or spin, but to establish your credentials. This really is your C.V. as Greg suggests

  I killed four at the ford when the Split Waters came to Brightwater and Markaldor the Pike was among those who I felled that day. No one carried of Brightwater's red cows that day.

or from Beowulf:

they know my strength--
they saw me come from battles
stained in the blood of my enemies,
when I destroyed a family of giants,
when I endured pain all night,
killing water monsters,
grinding them to bits,
to avenge for the Geats

3: Make an oath as to how you will serve the community:

>From Beowulf:

I have heard that the monster
in his recklessness uses no weapons.
I, therefore, to amuse Hygelac my lord,
scorn to carry sword or shield,
but I shall seize my enemy
in my hand grip and fight,
enemy against enemy,
and let God decide
who shall be taken by death.

Note that Beowulf only says that he will try and 'let God decide'. Anything else would be hubris and bring ill-wyrd on the community.

4: Now the thyle gets his chance to challenge your credibility. To use the C.V. analogy this is the interview.

>From Beowulf again:

Are you that Beowulf
who struggled with Brecca
in the broad sea
in a swimming contest?
The one who, out of pride,
risked his life in the deep water
though both friends and enemies
told you it was too dangerous?

You get to respond and if everyone likes what they hear you get the job.

Also note that boasting is not an idle activity. You boast because you want the support of the community. Those community support requests are an ideal time for Orlanthi to boast.