Re: Re: What's a Keyword? Gender Issues

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:28:10 +0000 (GMT)

> >>So a Dara Happen women wears a veil in spite of
> the practical problems that
> > > causes because it sends a message that she is a
> respectable woman and
> > > means she will be treated respectfully.

> >So that isn't a practical requirement at all.

Mike:

> Well, not to the women, no. It is a practical way of
> keeping the women in
> line, however. That is, I think he's saying that it
> doesn't go against the
> practical needs of the group that's in power in the
> culture - here meaning men. So you're agreeing.

Ah, yes, put like that I agree. Doesn't cut down on their economic input as much as say shackles, but has the overall required effect.

But Donald's idea that *her* reason for wearing it is practical.... no. Her reason for wearing it is not wanting to be hit by her owner. I suppose "treated respectfully" is one way of putting it, but then "respectable woman" is an odd way to say "properly subdued slave"

> The question, then, is what the men would want the
> women to do regarding daggers.
> Do they want them to keep them to protect themselves
> against other men? Or
> do they want them to be unarmed so they can't resist
> their husbands? I think either rationale works.

Yes, either makes as much sense as the other. Though there may be the assumption that a woman, even with a dagger or knife, *can't* use it so as to resist a man.

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk