Re: Wyters and Animals

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:16:53 -0500

tim_at_... wrote:

> TR suggests a Wyter can be embodied in an object (Clan Ring, Warband
> Banner, Farmers Plough etc etc) or in an animal (I think it gives the
> example of a Bull, but it could also be an alynx, a hawk etc etc).

This is true.

> If the Wyter is embodied in an object then, to destroy the wyter you
> need to ritually destroy the object. If it is embodied in an animal

It can be done with sufficiently nasty attacks -- its just tht the wyter will fight back and resist and a big wyter is very powerful (they are just limited in focus). Big tribal ones are 10w4

> and the animal dies (either because it is killed, or just because it
> dies (or does the wyter inhabiting it make it immortal)) then what
> happens to the wyter, and to the community (guild/heroband etc) that
> it supports? Do they need to reform the community and give the
> wyter a new body (and does it have to be the same sort of animal?)
> Does it automatically embody itself in a new animal (maybe a
> descendant of the original?) or does the Community just disolve?

When you "build" a wyter that is embodied in a sacred animal, there are ceremonies and proceedures that allow you to call it into a new body should the old one wear out. (I don't see as them being immortal). The downside is that until you do that, you've lost your wyter and are vulnerable. The plus side is that your wyter is _relatively_ easy to replace/repair.

> Opinions and thoughts please - If it makes any difference, this might
> tie in with a thought I expressed on the Rules list that what we used
> to call in RQ-Seak a "Rune Lord with an Allied Spirit" might be
> thought of in HW terms as "The Leader of a Hero Band with a Hero Band
> Wyter"

I suppose. I prefer to try to get away with cleaving quite so close to the old ways. However, if the living critter _symbolizes_ that band then that's fine -- you just have to realize that wyter are more powerful than allied spirits ever were and are much more LIMITED in what they can do.

Our warband uses a battle standard, but we're boring and typical.

Jeff