Re: Band Wyters

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:22:26 -0500

ian_hammond_cooper_at_... wrote:

> I would be interested in people's thought's on band level wyters.
>
> 1: OK so it includes herobands.
> 2: carpenters band, people working pasturages are mentioned see below.
>
> What do people think of the following as 'bands' that might have a
> wyter, in a clan - let's try to find one for everyone :)
>
> 3: The clan warband

Possibly -- Greg said at one point that this is usually this is the player-character heroband. If a clan does a lot of raiding, they probably have something they can project. Remember, the Wyter never leaves the tula.

> 4: The fyrd

This is the Clan wyter -- the fyrd, according to TR, almost never leaves the tula.

> 5: The Women's circle and The carls (i.e. farmers). These seem quite
> large almost clan wyter level. Are band wyters supposed to be smaller
> i.e. stead level (or even smaller)? The pasturage and carpenters
> comment seem to imply this to me. Am I reading this right? Would
> there be a Solid Oak Stead wyter. Or would the distinction need be
> more fine grained. The Solid Oak Stead Loom House wyter, The Solid
> Oak Stead farmers wyter.

No, these last seems a bit too nitpicky(?), I think. Remember, each of these things have to be worshipped and cherished. Would you give your life and soul to defend the loom house of your stead? Probably not. I'd give my life to defend my stead and family though....

> Thoughts?
>
> Ian

Wyter are commual groupings -- the Women's Circle would be more of a temple wyter guarding the Loom House, ditto for whatever hill we've consecrated to Orlanth.

Steads have wyter, bloodlines have wyter. Clans do as well. I suppose a guild might have one in town but that seems just a bit too difuse.

A wyter is formed from a group of people who are willing to pledge extraordiary support ot it. IF they aren't then that group is probably too difuse to generate a wyter. But hey, if you think that a fanatical sect of bakers in Jonstown should have a wyter... (hmmmm....)

Remember, a wyter requires an extraordinary commitment -- and if it gets destroyed, you're in trouble.

Jeff