Re: Re: Vinga's Skirts

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:27:06 -0500

ian_hammond_cooper_at_... wrote:

> Gareth Martin wrote:
>
> > Is there an equivalent Heortland custom of men giving up their sex?
>
> Yes, Nandan. If you want to play a male character with access to
> Ernalda subcults you have to worship Nandan.

And, I suppose a Nandani would wear trousers under his skirt. Works for me.

> Also it has been stated on this list before that Humakti possess
> atitudes that can be percieved as being 'female'.
>
> This is A RPG SUPPLEMENT that represents a culture with all the flaws
> and problems that exist within real cultures.
>
> Perhaps we should take it as a testament to the fact that Greg,
> Roderick, John, Robin et al. have created such a realistic picture of
> Heortling culture in TR that we find them as problematic as and
> riddled with discrimination as we do RW cultures.
>
> I do not think that there is a single Gloranthan culture that is not
> without charecteristics that we as 21C people would not find
> objectionable. And they are far more interesting and real because of
> that.

True. Considering the reaction of folks here, I am wondering what they will do when the Lunar (Dara Happan) or Western books show up.

> The original question: Are their interesting characters you can
> create from Ernaldan keywords had some merit to it as we can try and
> make those characeters interesting with ideas presented here.
>
> A discussion of the potential inequalites of Heortling society has
> some merit to it for furthering our understanding of the attitudes of
> members of that culture (i.e. women and men tend to regard their
> traditional roles positively, but 15% not and these find outlet in
> cults such as Vinga, Maran, and Nandan and will be covered by ST).

I think however, such a discussion would be better served on the Digest.

> A criticsm of the game product because its presentation of Heortling
> culture mirrors the inequalites of real-life analogue cultures is
> probably missing the point. These may be valid areas for outrage in
> real-life, but we are discussing a fictional culture.
>
> Ian

And frankly such philosophical chest-beating and wing-displays really should be taken to private email. We're trying to learn how to play a game, not learn about post/pre/whatever philosophy.

Jeff