Re: Re: Some Parameters for HeroQuesting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:23:09 +0000 (GMT)

> > (wince) The whole Orlanth being Dead thing,
> complete
> > with major climate change, got missed from every
> > account of the period in KoS, and no
> rationalisation
> > was given in the HW sourcebook, so that is a
> painful
> > topic.
>
> Why?

Why is it painful? You really need to ask? When you've got an on-going campaign that covers that period, and all of a sudden something as massive as OiD lands in the middle of it? If it was a boring idea, then fine, you just ignore it. But it isn't. It's a really cool idea. Only it splatters all the existing background and history into bits!

> Greg wrote Orlanth is Dead many years after
> KoS and after he
> thought more about some of the implications of the
> Lunar defeat of
> Orlanth. So he wrote about those.

Sure, fine. But this did not help fit OiD into any existing version of Glorantha, did it?

> Maybe one day a revised version of
> the CHDP will be released. Maybe not.

Which won't help much either. A major change to Glorantha is always going to be a problem: documenting it twice doesn't make it fit any better.

> Until then invent your own
> reason why the chronicler of CHDP made no reference
> to Orlanth being Dead

But that's just it - why should I have to? Sure, I probably can. This is me, I can come up with reasons for a lot of things, though that one's *hard* and introduces a lot of other changes as well. But I should never have had to do that - if the writers, Greg or whoever, wanted to throw in this totally new idea, then making it fit at least the outline of previous sources was *their* job.

> But I think the fall of Whitewall and the Battle of
> Iceland may well have a mythological dimension.

Whitewall, sure. That's serious magic, by the end, not mundane. But Iceland? The battle where the players are playing cannon fodder, very much on the mundane plane? Two big armies hitting each other and ambushing each other? I can't see why that would have any effect on the heroplane.