Re: Re: Some Parameters for HeroQuesting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:52:29 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Why?
> >
> > Why is it painful? You really need to ask? When
> you've
> > got an on-going campaign that covers that period,
> and
> > all of a sudden something as massive as OiD lands
> in
> > the middle of it? If it was a boring idea, then
> fine,
> > you just ignore it. But it isn't. It's a really
> cool
> > idea. Only it splatters all the existing
> background
> > and history into bits!
>
> Hardly. It is a major event, but let's face it,
> 99.9% of Gloranthan
> background and history is unaffected by OiD.

Well, yes, but maybe 90% of the bits of Glorantha people were actually playing in were affected. Sartar, Pavis, Prax...

> And it is a really cool story.

It is, in every sense.

> Which means Greg has every right to add it
> to the collection of stories that make up Glorantha.

Sure - as long as it fits! Same as every other cool thing.

> It fits. It just means that CHDP is incomplete.
> And a writer does
> not have to slavishly follow his previous writings.

But to "break" a universe whose whole purpose is that lots of people use it and co-create it - especially if you expect to get paid for it....

> That's not his job Jane. Greg's "job" is to write
> stories.

No. OiD was not sold as a story. It was sold as an additional adventure for people to play, in an existing and very well-established universe. "Additional" meaning that you keep what you've got, not throw it all away and start again. Backwards compatibility. Even Microsoft have got that one figured.

> > Whitewall, sure. That's serious magic, by the end,
> not
> > mundane. But Iceland? The battle where the players
> are
> > playing cannon fodder, very much on the mundane
> plane?
> > Two big armies hitting each other and ambushing
> each
> > other? I can't see why that would have any effect
> on
> > the heroplane.
>
> I'm not sure OiD is necessarily the final writeup of
> the Battle of Iceland.

Proabbly not, no, but it's the only one we've got, and anything in there presented as fact not hear-say must be true, and fixed, in the shared universe if not our own individual variations.

> And remember, Orlanth returns during
> Iceland - which is a
> very very big deal mythologically.

Sure, that's what I said a few posts back. THe LBQ (well, seriously variant LBQ), that's going on at the same time, that's a Big Deal. But that's not the battle.