Re: Some Parameters for HeroQuesting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:03:01 +0000 (GMT)

> >>Kallyr explicitly calls it an LBQ - and she ought
> >>know. Trouble is, it just doesn't look anything
> like
> >>any LBQ I've ever heard of.
>
> Hmm, it *does* have echoes of the Yinkin legend (ST
> 182) - Yinkin finds the
> "Frozen man" and licks him back to life, delighted
> to find that it's his
> brother Orlanth, who then goes on to the rest of the
> LBQ.
It looks good, but this must be a station near the end of the LBQ, not the beginning.

I've been looking back through some notes made ages ago, and I think I can find a few more matches. And yes, they do tie the battle to the LBQ! Unfortunately, they're in the wrong order :(

"Short" LBQ as described in KoS p165, as a source, plus the full LBQ in theMyths section.

Broyan does a Summons of Evil: in myth terms, that's just before the LBQ. So a fit - sort of.

The "bleed on the ice" bit looks to me like stage 6, the "hidden spark". The questor has to rely on an outsider to guide their soul back to life. Especially as the next stage, "rest", says "once the fire is rekindled, the questor is warm....". The blood might represent a bonus to breaking that 10W4 barrier for some reason? And what Kallyr's meant to be escaping from is her own worst nightmare - well, now we know what that is. Being trapped in a block of ice. Fair enough. In fact, maybe the Yinkin idea is a version of this?

But if that's right, she still has to do the whole go and find Yelm, challenges, Fire of justice/baths of Nelat thing, before we get to the end. And in fact Voria turns up a few minutes later, with no further action required.

Station 11, where Yelm and Orlanth combine to beat up Chaos. On the mundane, we have the Sartarite Sun Domers changing sides because the Lunars used chaos magic, and beating up the sorcerors who used it. It fits, I think: but I'm not at all sure about the timing.

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk