Re: Enchanting?

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:23:23 +1100

On 20/03/07, Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...> wrote:
> So what do all the theistic Enchant [metal/item] (eg Vingkot Champion Enchant Iron) feats do then? Is this just a Hero Wars artifact or do you see them as having a specific other purpose?

I believe that all of the Enchant <whatever> magics are ritual in nature, so perhaps a mandatory ritual component is an item that is fashioned to look a particular piece of some theistic entity's equipment. This a lot of swords carried by Humakti are going to look a lot like the cult's representations of Humakt's Sword, and a lot of Orlanthi helmets are going to look like Spare Me, etc etc.

The magic mechanics use the same test as for other magical systems, but what the operator is doing is quite different: a wizard might constrain a fiery essence in a sword to make it flame, whereas a godar might try and identify his knock-off of Flame-King's Sword with the genuine article (through using it as a prop in re-enactments and religious ceremonies).

What I'm curious about is how long people see these sorts of rituals taking?

--
John Machin