Re: Re: Enchanting--extended boring contests

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:57:08 -0500

>From: "L.Castellucci" <lightcastle_at_...>
>
>Why on earth *wouldn't* you run them as simple contests? It would never
>occur
>to me to run them as an extended contest unless there was some kind of
>dramatic reason it made sense. (Which would likely mean the contest wasn't
>framed as being about the enchantment per se, but about something else.)

Now you're going to the other extreme. I think that in my game they'd be dramatic enough for extended contest or full on heroquests quite often. It really all depends on just what's being made, how powerful it is, and why it's being made.

Just because the reason for making the thing isn't directly involved doesn't mean you can't have it as a separate dramatic contest. Heck, for me often just the idea that it's a nifty powerful thing is drama enough.

I think we're all on the same page here, and just approaching it from what we're seeing as likelihoods. But we're all agreed that the solution is to decide if it's worth an EC or HQ at the moment it comes up in play, and in the context of that play.

Mike

5.5%* 30 year fixed mortgage rate. Good credit refinance. Up to 5 free quotes - *Terms
https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2a5d&s=4056&p=5117&disc=y&vers=910