Occupations (not) denied to women

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruce_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:34:49 -0000

On Wednesday, February 14, 2001 5:41 PM, Jeff [SMTP:jeff.kyer_at_...] wrote:
> > > Strangely enough the 'herder' keyword is also denied to women.
> Uraldan
> > > Herders seems obvious to me
> >
> > And to me. What am I missing here?
> >
> I think its the difference between actually taking _care_ of the
> animals in the byre and barn rather than going out into the field and
> watching over them. Uraldans would be more invovled with the health
> of the animals and the stead side of things rather than standing
> around in the cold doing nothing useful while you watch the cows and
> sheep turn grass into poop.

As specifically stated on Thunder Rebels p158, immediately before the list of "restricted" occupations, the "Orlanthi all" definitely applies here. It might be more unusual to have mother standing out on the hillside with a spear watching the heard and father back at the barn. But it is not unknown.

The herder occupation is definitively, IMO, not denied to women. Nor any of the others, including skald, warrior, lawspeaker or whatever.

Regards,

Bruce