Re: Elk and moose

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 20:52:05 -0000

> I'm somewhat curious as to where Wikipedia got the idea that there is
> any such species as Cervus canadensis, honestly. All my taxonomy
> sources classify American Elk as Cervus elaphus with canadensis as a
> subspecies to distinguish it from the Red Deer of Europe.

Interesting... all mine say they're different species. Mind you, my books are a little out of date now, and I don't have a copy of MSW3 to hand to get a definitive answer. Wikipedia does, however, cite http://www.wzw.tum.de/wildbio/paper/cerphyl.pdf#search=%22Barbary%20red%20deer%22 as an article supporting its (and my) information. Should anyone care enough to read it, which I doubt... :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic