Re: Re: Elk and moose

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:29:59 +0100

Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Roderick and Ellen Robertson
> <rjremr_at_... <mailto:rjremr%40sierratel.com>> wrote:
>
> > Well, your "Buzzard" is our "Red-tailed hawk", as
> > well. Don't know *which*
> > lot of immigrants came up with that one.
>
> Huh? But buzzards don't have red tails!
> http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=buzzard&w=42637302%40N00&m=pool
> <http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=buzzard&w=42637302%40N00&m=pool>
> There you go, all sorts of buzzards, and not a red
> tail between them.

 As I understand it, they're so closely related that calling a red-tailed hawk an 'American buzzard', while not technically correct, gets the right idea across. If they'd been going to name it after anything they were already familiar with, then 'buzzard' would have been it. But they didn't :)
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic