Re: Elk and moose

From: Ian <ilikemonkeys.geo_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:38:00 -0000

  That's the Biological Species Concept, and that's close enough for government work in most cases. However, nature loves making us biologists look like idiots:

  1. There are a number of species that *could* probably produce viable offspring, but never would in nature simply because their signaling mechanisms don't synch up. Frogs and Insects are notorious for this sort of shennanigan.
  2. Ring species. My arch-foe in online discussions about species. I think we all know the deal with these guys.
  3. Ligers are the off-spring of a Male Lion and a Female Tiger. Their female offspring are fertile. These pairings are *purported* to even have happened in nature where Asiatic Lion and Tiger ranges overlap. I'm pretty sure we'd all agree lions and tigers are different species.

So, um. Yeah. Unfortunately, we can't rely on the Biological Species Concept to pull our fat from the fire.