Re: Humakti in the Vineyard- or how do I get there.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:07:19 +0100 (BST)

> >My initial thoughts were that I'd use a variant of
> the Torkani with a
> >tribe in trouble and group of Torkani Humakti going
> from stead to stead
> >acting as Judge Jury and executioner, and setting
> the tribe back on track.

> By "Torkani Humatki" do you mean Humatki sworn to
> the service of the tribal king?
> If so the king would be responsible for any deaths
> and that would be
> a political disaster for him even if it wasn't
> kinstrife.

Agreed. If I understand the DitV idea correctly, what you need is an entirely independent band.

Make it a hero-band, give it a strong guardian with very specific requirements. Mercenaries, with a requirement to go around dispensing Justice (and so on). Some sort of powerful backing would probably be a good idea, so the recipients of the justice don't get ideas about revenge.

Give the group a reputation that means they'll be respected as honourable but weird - the sort who do get called in and trusted to be fair. And then have the Torkani king hire them to sort the place out.

Idea to look at for inspiration: the Jalmari, documented in Tradetalk 9, and on the web somewhere... http://www.crashbox.com/nikk/jalmar.htm
http://www.city-of-pavis.info/jalmarpd.zip

Sounds like the branch of the Jalmari in Sartar would be the one you'd want. We've detailed a bit more about them (though not much!) in our campaign, since we have a Jalmari PC.

And speaking of that, there's also some similarity to our Swords campaign: independent Humakti warband, known to be honourable, tend to wander into situations, solve them by killing everything in sight while agonising over moral dilemmas, wander off again.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/