The purpose of this list? (was something nothing to do with the actual subject matter)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:19:00 +0100 (BST)

> Perhaps it's time to shut this list down?
>
> Personally I don't really give a rat's ass about
> which list an
> effective discussion occurs on, but if that's
> important to you then
> there's pretty much always going to be a setting
> specific list more
> appropriate to any discussion, and the ones
> comparing how things are
> done in Heroquest vs Mythic Russia should be on
> rules anyhow.

Well, the group description says (skipping the legal bits) "... the setting for the HeroQuest role-playing game published by Issaries, Inc. Here we focus on how to play HeroQuest (formerly Hero Wars) in Glorantha, and are especially concerned with introducing newer players to the game."

There's two points to look at there, plus one not mentioned.

"Introducing newer players to the game". There always has been a problem with in-depth discussions scaring away newbies. Keeping a separate list may well be a good idea, so as to avoid that.

Not mentioned in the description at present: we suggested that gaming in universes other than Glorantha (which a lot of people do) should perhaps be discussed here. And since gaming concepts can be applicable to more than one universe, it seems to me that even when the universe in question is a home-grown one only used in one game, the shared concepts can be used by others. (There was a post made to the WhiteWall list recently that I've suggested the author might like to repeat here for just that reason, since the ideas were about hero-questing in general). HQ is a different paradigm to most other RPGs, not just a different rule-set, and that means there's discussion that's system-specific without being rules-based.

Lastly, it seems that the WoG list isn't about "the HeroQuest role-playing game published by Issaries, Inc.", unfortunately. It was set up by Greg Stafford, for Greg Stafford, and since then he's made it clear that what he's discussing on there is some "deep" Glorantha, and that the one we're all using, as published by Issaries in HQ, Storm Tribe, and so on, is just popularised stuff that he has no intention of staying compatible with (and quite clearly doesn't). (In an off-list email, he also told me that that list is for "elite" people, and that certainly isn't me, nor anyone I'd want to asociate with.) Which makes it rather less use than it might have been... but it's his list, if he wants to use it to discuss how his Glorantha varies, that's up to him.

So.... for popular Glorantha, beginner's Glorantha, and non-elite Glorantha... there's this. And if the description is enlarged to be role-play using HQ in general, not just in Glorantha, it's even more use.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/