Re: Digest Number 2879

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:13:12 -0700

YGWV Ian Cooper wrote:

> I think that part of the problem to concentration comes from the
increased cost of raising abilities. Remove that and it starts to work a little better.

That is probably correct. If it had been 1 hero point per point raised from the start, there would likely be less complaining about it. I'd likely do it that way now. Heck, I'd probably leave concentration out entirely and thus remove the question altogether.

The issue was that I wanted there to be two levels of growth, and I thought that halving the cost for concentration would make advancement too fast.

Just for the record, the reason Concentration works as it does is that most people practice mixed worship. The worlds are distinct and separated, and magic working is about being in harmony with one of the magical worlds. When people participate in giving and/or using magic from several, their harmony with any one of them is thus diminished. Thus it costs more in Hero Points.

--Greg