Re: heortling clan chiefs an tribal kings

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:41:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, pascal milhau wrote:

> those questions arose on french Herowars list:
>
> a) May an heortling tribal king be a clan chief at the same time?

Orlanthi are about exceptions, so I'd be very surprised if tribal kings can't be clan chiefs as well, whatever the normal situation. I'd expect it to be unusual, though. Tribal kings have too many other commitments to spend time being a decent clan chief. Either their clan or the tribe would suffer through their neglect. There's also politics to consider. Tribal kings need the support of the clan chiefs. This is more likely to be forthcoming for a man who was a member of the hated clan over there than for a man who is still chief of the hated clan over there. (Of course, clans that suffer strong hatred reactions from their tribe mates won't provide the king very often...)

So, yes its possible, but unusual to be king and chief at once.

> b) To be a tribal king one have to be (and remain) a clan chief ?

A tribal king need not have been a clan chief, but he must be supported by the clan chiefs. They aren't going to support someone who can't prove he can do the job. Being clan chief first is a good way to prove your abilities, but isn't absolutly necessary, I'd say.

This does prompt a question from me. To what extent are tribal kings still regarded as part of their clan? Obviously they will be identified with it, but I'd think the tribal link is regarded as "more important".

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net