Re: Preparing for play, how I do it

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:04:27 -0000

>>Turning this into a crisis (with the exception of that last one, which
rather creates its own crises) is the hard part for me. Or at least, turning it into crises that I can use.<<

I can only think of two tricks for this:

  1. Something has to give. A lot of guidance on stories will tell you that you need to create your crisis at the point that something has to give. So in your conflict is around should women rule then you need to find someway to put or threaten to put a woman into a position of power. Her hsuband or father lies sick or dying for example. She makes it clear that she intends to take the reins of power. Other forces cannot stand the idea and work to prevent her accession.
  2. Steal, which is kind of what you are suggesting you do with published scenarios and I am saying I tend to do with plots from novels or movies. Of course you don't have to use HQ alone for this. The trick here is to remember to steal the crisis idea and not necessarily the implementation which won't be appropriate for HQ in a lot of cases (dungeon crawls for instance).

Some examples of putting a conflict in crisis from films and literature: