Re: Re: Wyters and Animals

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:10:23 -0500

Peter Larsen wrote:

> Jeff Kyer says:
>
> >But a house in the village might not have one.
>
> Daimones seem to be scaled entities that start off small and
> grow as they
> get reputation and worshippers. Maybe wyters are the same way -- it
> might
> be an ancestor worshipped by the clan/stead/whatever or a nature
> daimon
> adopted by the group. I suspect most houses (as well as steads) have
> "hearth daimones" which could grow to be wyters if their supporters
> grow
> numerous and strong enough. Obviously, a hovel with 4 adult cotters
> and
> their kids is pretty weak compared to the Cheif's stead (with many
> dozens
> of well-fed and faithful people) in terms of spiritual resources to
> "grow"
> the proto-wyter. So, when the Black Oaks come knocking, the cotter's
> hearth
> daimon wrings its "hands" and maybe gets off a weak curse (-1 Close
> Combat
> to one attacker; big deal) while the Chief's stead wyter can call all
> the
> warriors and rain hail on the attackers. In other words, no hearth,
> properly consecrated and maintained, is without a wyter, but not too
> many
> of them are strong enough to be noticed by anyone other than the
> inhabitants of that dwelling. Wyters would then be common, but
> noticible
> wyters rare.
>
> Peter Larsen

I like this answer much better than mine.

But I'd avoid the "wyters-for-everything" that could generated. If a small stead or sheiling has a wyter in the hearth or roofbeam or house pillar, then it would probably not take much effect. And could be ignored for the purposes of combative gaming (though not for social purposes). I might have 'keep broth warm' or 'smoke goes out the hole' blessings. But it does explain why its harder to sneak up on Heortlings and burn their houses down or eat them at night. Its... its a burglar alarm.

Jeff

Jeff