Re: Telmori in Heroquest

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:21:13 -0000

Ian Cooper:

> > It depends exactly how you think the ability/resistance works. If
> its
> > just the skin or fur that's resistant, this makes perfect sense.
> > Personally, though, I'd always imagined it as a property of the
> flesh
> > itself.
>
> Like a lot of fiction (because it comes from that as opposed to myth)
> the 'silver bullet' story breaks under too much scrutiny. One quite
> common idea is that a werewolf has a phenomenal healing rate against
> non silver-sourced injuries. However, that suggests to me that
> overwhelming damage could kill a werewolf before they could recover,
> so a shot to the head would be fatal regardless.

I would agree that they aren't actually indestructable in the absence of rune metals. For instance, if a ten-ton rock falls on a Telmori's head, I wouldn't expect that if I levered the rock up, he'd pop up like Wile E Coyote. I'd put the resistance very high, though - say, 10W4 for an average individual.

> For that reason I think you need to try and come up with something.
> There used to be a RQ spell Wolfshide so I'm extending that idea into
> the notion that the wolf's pelt is his source of immunity.

YGWV, of course, and I have no privileged information on this. I'm just saying how I envisaged it as working in-world.

> >OTOH, the idea that it's a numbered ability (albeit a high
> > one) rather than a flat-out immunity seems perfectly reasonable.
>
> Agreed, I think that's always the way to go in HQ.

Hmmm... no, not 'always', I don't think - some things really should be impossible. 'Almost always', perhaps...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic