Re: Travel Narratives in Glorantha

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:05:12 -0000

Jane:

> > Of course, given my latest sizeable work for
> > Glorantha was about the Rokari, I'm not going to be
> > exactly free of that accusation myself...
>
> But they always were a male-biased culture, weren't
> they?

Absolutely. Hopefully, I'll do the Loskalmi next, since they're more gender neutral (lots of female knights, for instance).

> I'd imagine
> you've stopped them being a boring clone,

I'd like to think so, but time will tell...

> but if you'd
> made them anything but male-dominated, you'd have
> missed the point and altered the background. And you
> know better than that!

Out of curiosity, I went and looked back through the manuscript, to count the characters that had specific write-ups in the book (i.e. had a headed section all to themselves). The final count was:

Royal Court: 6 men, 2 women
Church leaders: 7 men, 1 woman
Regional leaders: 9 men
Local figures: 13 men, 2 women
Heroquesters: 8 men, 2 women

For a whopping total of 14% women (three of whom are healers). Which is what you get when all the ruling nobles and all the warriors are blokes. Still, I tried to give female characters something to do, and at least there are some NPCs to serve as role models for Seshnegi femininity.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic