Re: Re: Wyters and Animals

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:01:09 -0800

Mostly good stuff in this thread, just one little factoid error...

> Daimones seem to be scaled entities that start off small and grow as they
> get reputation and worshippers. Maybe wyters are the same way -- it might
> be an ancestor worshipped by the clan/stead/whatever or a nature daimon
> adopted by the group. I suspect most houses (as well as steads) have

Daimones are entities of the god plane and cannot change anymore (Since that Time-thingy came along at the end of the Lightbringer's quest... see "the Difference between Mortals and Gods" TR 96) So a daimone does not "grow" any more than Orlanth "grows" any more. However, a wyter can have undiscovered abilities ("What? when did you get the ability to put out fires?") and wyters are the "holders" of all that wonderful magic that questers bring back from Heroquests and "give" to the clan. This is how the wyter can "grow" from the standard 10w+Community support (TR 101) to the level of the "Your Wyter (TR 102)

The wyter in the default "Your Clan" sections of TR is supported by 1200 people (TR 29). Thus the base wyter ability ratings are all at +25 (Community Support table NB 245) or 15w2. Due to various Heroquests, the ratings for Awarenes and Blessings have risen to 20w2.

What this means in game terms is that you can "discover" new abilities in your wyter (at least until your narrator says "that's enough!"), and you can gift them with magic. If the wyter goes away, it loses all that gifted magic.

Greg & I discussed the change from War-clan to Peace-clan ala KoDP, that it requires a change of Wyters - so clans who have stayed essentially the same type (war or peace) for the last 1600 years will have great stores of magical energy (in the form of discovered abilities and gifted magic) while those that change every few years have much less powerful wyters since they swap them every few years, not giving them a chance to "build up" their magic.

In KoDP terms, "Reorganizing the Clan Ring" is never done lightly!

RR