Re: Re: Travel Narratives in Glorantha

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 14:49:42 -0800

Lev Lafayette wrote:

> --- Nicholas Pagnucco <npagnucco_at_...
> <mailto:npagnucco%40gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I'd say Structural Anthropology I and II (I especially
> liked the story of how the doubter decided to become a
> shaman) and The Raw and the Cooked.
>
> As for utility the Runes of Glorantha have a great
> deal of Levi-Strauss in them, insofar they represent
> metaphor and knowledge expressed in structures of
> binary opposites. Further, Levi-Strauss' distinction
> between synchronic and diachronic provide a very rich
> means to develop mythic stories in
> HeroQuest/Glorantha.

I want to say thanks to you guys for updating the old and outdated belief that Campbell provides the basis for Gloranthan mythology. Campbell has his good points, but he's never been the authority for Gloranthan mythology that some people claim. I suggest that curious parties for Gloranthan mythological influences need to read some original sources, like the Eddas, Vedas, Upanishads, and Hermes Trismegistus etc. and for influences, check out Eliade, Levi-Strauss, Dumezil, heck, even Loomis, Crowley etc. Keep up the good work.

--
    Greg Stafford
    President, Issaries. Inc.

Love without reserve,