Re: SUBCULT CONFUSION!

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:04:33 -0500

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> Well, I finally obtained a copy of TR, and soon realized that I don't
> have a very sharp grasp of the relationships between aspects of a god
> and subcults of those aspects. Since most of the discussions along
> these lines occurred before I had read the relevant text, I'll just
> ask
> the questions that I have now, and apologize if they've been answered
> before. Some or all of them probably have obvious answers.

No problems. Remmber this: Aspect gives 2 affinties. Subcult gives 1 affinty (and possibly some more feats. They do NOT give any of the Aspect affnities -- they merely enhance what is there with some extra nifty feats)

> 1) Minar decides that he wants to be an initiate of the Orlanth
> Adventurous subcult of Ormalaya the Hunter, giving him the Affinities
> of Hunting and Movement. Does he also get the Orlanth Adventurous
> Affinities of Combat and Movement? Or does he become an initiate of
> both the aspect and the subcult? Would his Movement affinities be
> combined?

You join an aspect. Then you pick a subcult. You are an initiate or devotee and that dictates how you get your feats from that subcult and it 'parent' aspect.

Minar would get Movement and Combat from Orlanth A and then get Hunting from Ormalaya. IF he was a devotee of Ormalaya, he'd get all the feats from Hunting, Movement and Combat, PLUS the additional feats from the HUnting subcult.

Aspect provides 2 affinities. Subcult provides an additional affinity and POSSIBLY some feats in the aspect affinites _IF_ the worshippper has them already.

> 2) Minar's brother Morgan decides to initiate to Niskis the Lover,
> which provides the Affinities of Sensuality and Movement, and Finovan
> the Raider, which provides Raiding and Combat. Both are subcults of
> Orlanth Adventurous; are they considered to be members of Orlanth
> Adventurous, too?

Yes. He would have to choose one as his first initiation. The other would be an additional subcult (as covered in the example and rules). If he were to devote, he would devote to ONE or the OTHER and would get the requisite feats for the 3 affinties (2 aspect, 1 subcult)

You cannot devote to an entire aspect. He would be a devotee in Nisskiss (and get all the listed feats) and an initiate in Finovan (and just get the Raiding Affnity without any feats -- he would also not get the special feats of finovan either in Movement/Combat)

> 3) Their brother Magan decides to join the OA subcult of Vanganth the
> Flyer, with Flight and Movement affinities, and also the Orlanth
> Thunderous subcult of Daylanus the Conquering Wind, which provides the
> Affinities of Fight Elements and Wind. What is his relationship to OA
> and OT? Does he receive any of their affinities?

Not quite.

Our friend Magan joins an aspect. OA, in this case. He gets Movement and Combat from this. Is he a devotee? if so, he gets the feats for these two affinties and the feats for the Flight affinity (and the special Vangath Mobility/combat feats). If not, he just gets the 3 affinties.

He would have to initiate (if he's already a devotee) to Daylanus. He would ONLY get the Fight Elements affinity. Now, if he were to become a devtee of daylanus (which is possible, I think) -- the Orlanthi are very free on mix & match subcult. Some just fit better than others.

His aspect is OA. He'd worship OA. But he's doing Thunderous things as well (and pays a small time surcharge for the awkardness, IIRC).

> 4) Minaryth, the father of Minar, Magan, and Morgan, is a Devotee of
> Helamakt the Fighting Storm, an OT subcult. He has the Combat and
> Storm affinities; does he also get Storm and Wind through OT? Is he
> considered an Initiate of OT, or is his status with that cult
> something
> else?

He gets Storm and Wind through OT. He gets Combat from Helamakt. He gets some additional feats (if a devotee) for his Storm affinity.

Check the example given in the book of changing subcults. There's an interesting map-over between Helemakt and any Orlanth A. Also between Destor and any Thunderous....

> 5) Minaryth's brother Miran is a Devotee of Orlanth Adventurous, but
> doesn't belong to any particular subcult. Is this uncommon, or is it
> discouraged?

Not possible. Must have Aspect and then have subcult. Even initiates do this.

Jeff